Young Church - Welcome!
The great end in religious instruction is not to stamp our minds irresistibly on the young but to stir up their own; not to make them see with our eyes but to look inquiringly and steadily with their own; not to give them a definite amount of knowledge but to inspire a fervent love of truth; not to form an outward regularity but to touch inward springs.
William Ellery Channing, Unitarian minister, 1837
Welcome to the Young Church of the First Religious Society! Our program serves children from age one through the high school years. We offer a unique experience for families who want support for their children's spiritual, ethical, and religious growth, with an open-minded, open-hearted approach.
You might find a home at the FRS Young Church if:
Please take a few minutes to look over our website. If you decide you want to visit us, it's a good idea to contact our director of religious education beforehand, so that she can greet you on your first visit. Any time of year is a fine time to join us--especially now!
- Your child has asked you religious questions that you're not sure how to answer
- You're looking for support as you try to instill strong ethical values, including a social justice ethic, in your child
- You're seeking an intergenerational, liberal religious community with which your family can be engaged
- You believe that there is truth in many of the world's religions and you want your child to be exposed to a variety of religious ideas
- You want your child to be familiar with stories from the Hebrew and Christian scriptures
- You want your child to be part of a unique environment where s/he can ask questions, share ideas, and safely be her- or himself