Climate Change Virtual Workshop, April 17, 6pm, via zoom
How to lose a few tons on a low carb(on) diet!
Though we all are highly focused on the current pandemic and its widespread effects on our lives and those of our loved ones, we trust that at some point we will get past this spell, and will be able to focus on broader issues once again. With this in mind, the members of the Climate Action Project invite you to join us for a virtual workshop to learn more about what we can do as individuals and families to decrease our carbon footprints. There will be an opportunity to work through your own carbon footprint calculation during the session. It will make this easier if you collect some suggested data at home before this section of the agenda. A worksheet can be found here.
We are fortunate to have Denny Dart join us for our session. Denny is an environmental engineer and manager at the EPA in Boston, where she implements the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts, though she does not speak for the agency in this instance. Since her granddaughter was born in 2018, Denny has been devoting time and energy to climate activism, so that today’s children will have a safe and beautiful world to live in when they grow up. Bill Clary and I heard Denny speak a few months ago in Beverly, and her short presentation was remarkable for its clarity and power to guide us in measures we can take which can make big differences in our carbon footprints. Everyone was talking about her particular presentation that night.
Please join us. Details for signing up are:
Meeting ID: 975 611 436
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,975611436# US (New York)
Dial by phone
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
6pm Welcome, Zoom pointers, introduction
6:15 Calculate your carbon footprint – hands-on activity
6:40 How to lose a few tons on a low carb(on) diet
- Your bank https://www.sierraclub.org/international/fossil-free-finance/you
- Insurance https://aodproject.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/AODP-Got-It-Covered-Insurance-Report-2018.pdf
- Retirement fund https://fossilfreefunds.org/
- Electric company https://www.massaudubon.org/get-involved/live-sustainably/make-the-switch-to-green-electricity
- The places you shop (Choose local consignment shops; buy local produce through a CSA or farmer’s market.)
- Car companies https://www.greenenergyconsumers.org/drivegreen/rebatesandincentiveselectriccars
- Internet browser ecosia.org
- Airlines https://www.edf.org/climate/aviation
- Buy Carbon Offsets https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/climate/nyt-climate-newsletter-carbon-offsets.html
7pm Q & A