Spurred on by a generous donation of $1,000 from the North End Boat Club Charity, more than 70 citizens, social services professionals, and advocates gathered on January 17, 2018 to continue the discussion about solutions to address homelessness in the greater Newburyport area. The intent of the meeting was to outline major focus areas, establish priorities, and create a process for moving forward. Discussion groups were created around the following subject areas:
- Brown School: promote attendance at a meeting exploring its future on January 25 at the school gym at 7:30pm.
- Local needs: find gaps in current services and recommend changes to address these gaps.
- Defining the population: define the targeted population.
- Zoning/housing policy: explore needed changes.
- Existing models: review current models and recommend additional models .
- Additional stakeholders: review additional stakeholders who should be actively involved in this initiative. Clarify our mission, who we want to serve, and articulate that to educate the community.
- A planning group has been established to organize the next meeting. We will review results from January 31, 2018 homeless count when available to help prioritize the needs of the homeless locally.
We are so proud of Pennies and FRS’s role in facilitating this intiative!